Friday, September 11, 2009

I can be a bookworm



Another of my loved pastimes is reading (this is a statement which I never thought I would ever make when I was younger, but that what happens….). I have taken advantage of the quiet time over the past week or so (including our quiet long weekend) to read three books: Younger Than That Now by Jeff Durstewitz and Ruth Williams, The White Queen by Philappa Gregory, and Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession by Anne Rice. Three very different books by three distinctly different authors (well, four actually since one was written by two people…technicalities….). I enjoyed each for different reasons:

Younger than That Now by Jeff Durstewitz and Ruth Williams: This memoir is about the relationship between these two people: he is from NY and she is from MS; they are both editors of their high school newspapers and had a heated initial meeting. This follows their relationship through adulthood showing how true friends, though they are out of touch for a while, never die.

The White Queen by Philappa Gregory: This follows most of the “Cousins’ War” in England in the mid-1400’s and not only how much effort is put into become king/queen, but also how much is needed to remain king/queen. I am a big fan of her work, but was slightly disappointed in this book.

Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession by Anne Rice: This memoir details her childhood as a devout Catholic, her drastic falling-away from Catholicism becoming an Atheist, and finally her journey back to the church. Though not a Catholic myself, I found her experiences very profound and her overall journey compelling. Who would have thought the writer of Interview with a Vampire was/would become so religious.

To read my complete reviews of these three books, as well as many other books I have read, check me out on Goodreads.com (link on the side).

No comments:

Post a Comment