Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chilly Friends




I ask you this: what is better than getting new stamps? Getting new stamps as a gift! I received this new stamp set as a Christmas present this year; I was thrilled. What I like about it is that it really shows how much the giver (you know who you are…and thanks again) really knows what type of stamping I like.

I thought I would break in my new set by making a card (for no reason whatsoever). It was pretty cold here in town (and we got some really wet snow one night), so it was a perfect match. I really liked the way it turned out. I didn’t want it to open in a typical way, so I used a modified two-fold card (I hope you can see this ok in the picture).

I have to share a funny story about this card: the stamp set comes with several characters, some accessories, and a section of ice. I knew that I wanted the characters sitting on the ice, but I knew they wouldn’t fit all on one. In order to emphasize the saying on the inside, “I get by with a little help from my friends,” it didn’t make sense to me to have them all on different pieces. I broke out some post-its (another of my favorite inventions) and decided to mask the edges of the ice to create one large piece out of the small pieces. This was great; I got it all stamped…one large piece for all the chilly friends to share. Here is the ironic part…when I placed the friends on the ice I realized that even if I didn’t go through all the trouble of masking the edges, you wouldn’t be able to see where they overlapped anyway because the inside edges would have been covered by the creatures. Ugh…all that work for nothing! Oh well, I know (and now you know) the main goal, so I suppose that is all that matters.


Recipe: Cold & Cuddly, Beyond Basics, and Sage Advice stamp sets, Cool Caribbean, Taken with Teal, and Winter White cardstock, Cool Caribbean, Perfect Plum, Basic Grey, and Taken with Teal classic ink, Versamark inc, Winter White embossing powder, heat tool, Flirty Ribbon Originals, Stamp-a-ma-jig, post-it, Taken with Teal stamp-n-write marker, sponges, and dimensional spots.

3 comments:

  1. When I saw that stamp set, I knew you could create something wonderful! And I don't think the 'masking' was for nothing. It did give you a chance to practice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet and the design of the card is terrific. Love it and love the masking ;-)

    Sara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment on my blog! I can't wait to see what you create when you get MDS!

    ReplyDelete