Sunday, March 14, 2010

Ronald McDonald Challenge

At January’s card club we were given two packages of supplies with which to create cards for the Ronald McDonald House Charity. Here are the results of my two kits:

Purple Paradise
This kit included the white card base, the lilac panel, the black panel, and the smaller white panel. What to make…what to make…. I had recently purchased two stamp sets which seemed to coordinate well with each other, so I thought I would give them a go. Wanting to stay true to this challenge, I wanted to stick with the supplies provided as well as I could; I moved some pieces around and came up with this straight forward layout. After looking at it for a bit, I knew it needed something more, but I couldn’t figure out what. It took a bit longer, but then I recognized another card’s layout in this…it was from Halloween time. I loved it then and I love it now: all I need is some ribbon and a grommet and I was set.

Recipe: Vintage Vogue and Vintage Labels stamp sets, Basic Black, Whisper White, Very Vanilla, and Lovely Lilac card stock, Basic Grey, Lovely Lilac, and Versamark Ink, large white grommet, wide black organdy ribbon, ½”circle punch, sponges, black embossing powder, heat embosser, Lovely Lilac Stamp-n-write marker, and dimensional spots.


Seeing Stripes

This pack contained a completely different group of pieces (for one, there were lots more, and two, nothing “clicked” at all): navy, red, green, yellow, white, confetti…holy cow (I was certain Anne set out to drive me up the wall with this combo)! It took some time, but I determined that the best theme for this would be a natural one. Most of the pieces layered really well together (yup…that is 5 layers on that center panel), but doing so left me with so many small pieces. What to do with these? I wanted to use them, but how? I cut them into various strips and aligned them around the edge. Something was still off with that center panel: the words I used seemed a bit narrow for the space (since they did end up going all the way to the top and bottom), so I added a bit of twine to fill the empty space. A bit of sponging around all the edges tied in all of the rough edges.

Recipe: Sidekick Sayings and All Natural stamp sets, Ruby Red, Old Olive, More Mustard, and Not Quite Navy classic inc, Ruby Red, Old Olive, More Mustard, and Not Quite Navy, Confetti White, and Whisper White cardstock, hemp twine, dimensional spots, sponges, and Not Quite Navy Stamp-n-write marker.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, I think you did a wonderful job with your cards. The challenge sounds 'hard'. Especially using what you were given. Great Job! TFS

    ReplyDelete