Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Copenhagen to the Rescue

As if on cue, Our Creative Corner ended my search for some new inspiration. Since I chose to search for new inspiration, I sat down at the computer to see what I could find. And there it was – Our Creative Corner’s Copenhagen Challenge: draw inspiration from any/all pictures posted of Copenhagen AND not to use any pre-printed patterned paper (If you have read my blog more than a couple time, then you know how much of a challenge the last stipulation is since I LOVE PATTERNED PAPER). Above are the four pictures which were provided.



Have you figured out which picture I chose as my inspiration? That’s right (I’m assuming, of course, that you got it right…you guys are so smart), it is this picture:

This interpretation of the picture of the waterway (if you know what it is, then please let me know; it would help “round out” my story) is pretty literal, but with a few “Nichole” flairs thrown in:

Color: I picked out the colors of some of the row buildings along the left side of the picture. I love how that one blue building (at least it appears blue to me) just pops against the earth-tones of the other buildings. I mixed these colors with the grey of the boats and shadows and the water reiterated my blue choice.

Shape: I love how the row of buildings create a “soldier-like” feel to the picture; I wanted to bring that into my card. I decided to extend these the full height of the card (as opposed to cutting them short…maybe adding roofs….). Also, though I am sure that the buildings are square, with the angle of the photo and the shadows created, they almost appear to be slanted slightly; I brought this slightly askew feeling to the “buildings” on my card. Finally, I tried to mimic the angle of the waterway/pier with the rolled grey paper and “peek-a-boo” blue in the lower right corner of my card.

Accent: the white window casings add so much interest to the photo that I knew I wanted to tie that into my card as well. I have had these vanilla tag holders for a while (maybe a year, I think) and have never used them. I was glad when I tested them with my card and saw how they added just the right abstract windows to my buildings.

Texture: I applied two different textures to this project. The first is sponging (again – LOVE IT); I added grey sponging to the outer edges of my buildings as well as the edges of my mats. The end result is more of an aged and muted look which is exactly what I wanted. The other is the Sunburst embossing pattern along the buildings; I think it adds just the right amount of interest without detracting from the other elements of the card (almost mimicking the ripples in the water).

What do you think? Did I do the photo justice? How would you interpret this photo differently?
I’ve never been to Copenhagen, but after emersing myself in this one picture, I would love to see more (and maybe, one day, visit).



Recipe: Edgy Eloquence stamp set; Going Grey, Bashful Blue, Cajun Craze, More Mustard, and Daffodil Delight cardstock; Going Grey classic ink; Hodgepodge Hardware: Stylized Vanilla; Sunburst embossing folder; sponge; inspirations courtesy of Copenhagen via Our Creative Corner.

3 comments:

  1. I love your card. When I saw it posted on OCC I thought wow - this would be the winner. Your layout and interpretation is amazing. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool interpretation of the photo, and I love your tag holders! Thanks for playing along this week at Our Creative Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a genius interpretation of the photo! I love that it's not literal, yet still holds onto the feel of it. I have to admit to you, the buildings do tend to lean, they are 200+ years old ;). Fantastic job on the challenge, thanks for joining us this week at Our Creative Corner!

    ReplyDelete