Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I thought she was a loon...

I used to think that there were two types of people in this world: Movie People and Book People. For the longest time I would classify myself as a movie person, but over the past few years I have (thanks to wonderful book clubs) developed an great appreciation for reading…it is not a love yet, but it’s getting there.

Each December, one of the book clubs I attend has a book swap. This past December I received Julia Child’s book "My Life in France" and thought that it would be nice to read one day. I got home and it went on my bookshelf, not to be thought of again. It is not that I didn’t enjoy receiving it, it is just that I remember watching her shows on PBS growing up and thinking that she was a complete loon so the book didn’t appeal to me at all. Keeping in mind that I am a self-proclaimed “movie person,” when I heard of a movie coming out which has to do with Julia Child (“Julie and Julia”), the thought of reading this shelved book did cross my mind. But is wasn’t until a potential date was set to watch the movie that I actually picked it up and read it.

Thinking back on my PBS experience with Julia Child, I still think she was a loon, but now I have a greater appreciation for what she did, how she did it, and why she seemed to be a bit over the edge to me. I encourage you to read it (I saw it at Borders the other day with a new cover to coincide with the movie); I am seeing the movie tomorrow with some dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment