Sunday, June 06, 2010

Digital: With and Without

For my card club swap, the theme was Sympathy. Needless to say, I was not super excited about making this card for two reasons: first, who wants to think about sympathy and second, I didn’t have any sympathy-type stamps. What I did have was Stampin’ Up!’s My Digital Studio program. I remember seeing this tree – which I love, but never purchased the stamp – and thought it would be great.

My idea was to use the tree image and print it out on my CraftRobo – if you don’t remember how much I absolutely love this machine, then give me a call and I will tell you all about it – and use the negative space for the card. Well, I did, then added a sentiment and some ribbon; I thought it was ok…I didn’t really like how all the little corners of the tree kept popping up (I wanted there to be some depth, but a consistent depth…not fly-aways). Then it hit me, “I have to do this nine more times for the swap.” That is when I really got discouraged.

MDS to the rescue! Instead of utilizing the image from the program, I should use the entire program to create the card…duh!!! I have to admit, I was a little nervous (I mean, I never used it before – aside from the time my mother gave me a crash course, but she was sitting there the whole time – and I would be giving them to members of the card club for review…who wouldn’t be a little freaked out?) to say the least.

As with most things, slow and steady wins the race proved true in this case. I went through several versions of this, but finally settled on my favorite. Seeing the two side-by-side, I think the digital card is a pretty fair translation (better in some cases) of my original idea. Looking back (and after a few suggestions form my club members), there are a few things I would do differently, but that is a story for another time.

I am looking forward to getting to know the MDS program and all the ways it works.

Hand-made Recipe: Basic Black, Whisper White, and Mellow Moss cardstock, black grosgrain ribbon, dimensional spots, mini glue dots, MDS tree image, CraftRobo, corner rounder punch, and lots of time.

MDS Recipe: MDS program, Basic Black, Mellow Moss, and Whisper White cardstock, and corner rounder punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment